Air compressors are standard in today’s world. They create air pressure useful for many applications, including production, construction, and running machinery, among others.
To run efficiently, air compressors have to be kept in optimal running conditions. This requires the knowledge and skills of an air compressor mechanic.
The duties of an air compressor mechanic
As an expert in air compressors, the mechanic has the responsibility to ensure that they work efficiently. This gets done through procedures that can get divided into three major categories.
Check product manufacturing standards
- Supervise product standards by ensuring that the industrial air compressor gets built according to manufacturing standards.
- Effective startups and compressor installations.
Ensuring that air compressors work efficiently
- The air compressor barrel is dry, and no condensed liquids trapped in it.
- The filters that let air in and out are in good function.
- The joints from the compressor to the barrel are functional and in good condition.
Carrying out repair and replacements
- Diagnose malfunctions and defects and make air compressor repairs and replacements for any broken or damaged compressor parts.
- Performing routine air compressor maintenance.
- Test air compressors’ safety shut down precautions.
Knowing one’s duties as an air compressor mechanic is not enough in today’s competitive career world. Specific qualities are needed to endorse oneself as an air compressor mechanic.
Qualities that endorse one’s skills as an air compressor mechanic
As the demand for compressed air use grows, there is a shortage of experienced air compressor mechanics, and manufacturers often complain of half seasoned mechanics.
So, what qualities does an air compressor mechanic need to endorse their skills and prove their professional worth in the field?
Here is the list of those qualities.
- Vast understanding of the core part of any screw-type air compressor; the air-end.
- Capacity to install and maintain any types of air compressors and system components.
- Ability to read wiring diagrams and schematics and relay them correctly.
- Capacity to use precision-measurement tools to diagnose air compressors and specific components.
- Ability to combine technical air compressor skills with customer-focused soft-skills such as effective communication.
- Have good electrical abilities such as those related to self-propelled machinery and HVAC.
- Possess hands-on experience from working on air compressors. Such knowledge helps them build the right aptitude for the air compressor mechanic job, especially while looking for employment.
- Be open to continuous training, including online courses.
While these unique qualities make a seasoned air compressor mechanic, manufacturers and industries in need of their skill are struggling to find graduates in the air compressor field who are willing to work as employees. Instead, such graduates prefer to be managers at their own businesses.
To endorse oneself as a seasoned air compressor mechanic, one needs to go beyond possessing the necessary skills to demonstrate qualities that prove one as an experienced professional in the field. These qualities are not only technical but also communicational.
There are plenty of opportunities where you can endorse your skills you just need to work hard and find them. Don’t wait for the chances to come to you grab them before someone else does and take advantage of what can be offered to you.